I was recently introduced to Social Media tracking tools. I was surprised at the number of free and paid resources available, and what they are capable of doing. I decided to use some of these tools by analyzing the company Eureka this week.
Eureka was founded in 1909, and was named after the exclamation of great discovery “Eureka” is Greek for “I found it”. Eureka is an environmentally conscious company that prides itself on creating innovative products.
Eureka specializes in vacuums and steam vacuums, and they manufacture and distribute more than 130 different models under our four brands: Eureka, Electrolux, Sanitaire and Electrolux Central Vacuum Systems.
Two of the most popular competitors to Eureka are Shark and Bissell. Bissell has the strongest Facebook and Twitter presence among the three, as you will see from the stats below which were possible from a terrific rating tool called Wildfire:
Bissell – Followers – 6,521, 7d ∆0.18%, 1m ∆ 0.37%, 3m ∆ 2.71%
Eureka – Followers – 4,771, 7d ∆0.06%, 1m ∆ 0.55%, 3m ∆ 4.33%
Shark – Followers – 1,944, 7d ∆0.21%, 1m ∆ 0.73%, 3m (down) 0.26%
Bissell – Likes – 201,995, 7d ∆.02%, 1m ∆ 5.46%, 3m ∆ 18.66%
Eureka – Likes – 20,679, 7d ∆0.17%, 1m ∆ 1.94%, 3m ∆ 71.11%
Shark – Likes – 22,680, 7d ∆0.4%, 1m ∆ 19.6%, 3m ∆ 30.58%
Eureka is definitely increasing in their presence on Facebook and Twitter sources.
I was also able to attain Eureka’s sociable rating from HowSociable as summed up below:
Another fantastic tracking tool is Boardreader, which monitors the forums to see what the consumers are saying about Eureka. So for each posted comment I used a ranking system -1 for negative, 0 for neutral, +1 for positive.
1. “I have a eureka 313A and I love it. There’s a review on Amazon that compares different steam mop and this one gets a great review and it’s not super expensive. I’ve had my mop for 5 years now and it’s still going strong. I had a shark before my eureka and it died a little over a year after I got it (and right out of warranty)” +1
2. “This is why I subscribe to Consumer Reports.
Eureka Enviro Steamer 313A – 62 score
Oreck Steam-it Steam100
Bissell Steam Mop Deluxe 31N1
Shark Steam Pocket Mop S3501 – 54 score” 0
3. “I have a Eureka envirosteam that I love”. +1
4. “the eureka enviro hard surface cleaner get twice as hot as the shark so it lifts dirt better and easier. we dont have grout but it might be better for it. also you don’t have to pump it back n forth like the shark to get steam.” +1
5. “I use the vacuum on the “bare floor” setting (and/or an attachment) to sweep up the dust bunnies and junk, then I steam mop. I used to Swiffer, but it did nothing and left things sticky, then I went to a mop and bucket and Murphy’s Oil Soap, but that’s a PITA, now I have a steam mop and I love it. (I still plan to Murphy’s Oil Soap a couple times a year because it’s good for the wood, though.) I have the Eureka Envriowhatchamacallit, one of the cheaper ones out there, and it works great.” +1
6. “My current favorite is a bagless Eureka Pet Expert I got on sale for $79 at Best Buy. That included a powered upholstery tool equivalent to a tool Dyson charges $99 for just that tool! Get out! Anyway this Eureka picks up major amount of dirt from seemingly nowhere. It’s like, holy crap, where is all this dirt coming from??!! I just vacuumed a week ago!” +1
7. “The downside of bagless is emptying the dirt and cleaning ALL the filters. What a pain! Bagged is way more convenient.” –1
8. “Even if the cheapie Eureka only lasts 2 years, I’m money ahead on a $500 Dyson that might last 5 years.” -1
9. “We bought an Eureka a month ago and love it” +1
10 “I love my Eureka Optima Lightweight! I have been unhappy with all the other vacuum cleaners I have ever had until I came upon Eureka Optima. I am on my second, and will buy another after this one is broke down. I have been so worried about it being discontinued; it seems like every time I like something they get rid of it at the stores. This vacuum is like having a full size vacuum in a little vacuum’s body. Please don’t ever get rid of this vacuum! I’m in LOVE!!!” +1
Overall the comments grade is +5. The common theme of most conversations is that most people love their Eureka product. Eureka has a great reputation and a quality product. There is always room for improvement so Eureka would only benefit from increasing their online presence. Bissell has definitely paved the road for something to achieve and exceed.